One thing that we often take for granted is our vision. Because it’s something that we use on a daily basis, it’s difficult to appreciate good vision while we have it. When things go wrong with our eyesight however, it can be very difficult to ignore. In Singapore, eye problems affect a large chunk of the population with thousands of individuals seeking medical attention for eye-related issues every year. Vision plays a very important role in our day-to-day life, so the moment you suspect any problems, be sure to see a specialist. Wondering what symptoms you shouldn’t ignore? Find out here.
- Too Many Floaters – It’s normal to see a few floaters in your field of vision. They are the small, translucent, irregularly-shaped strands that float around your eyes. However, if you see too many floaters as though you’re looking at a flock of birds in the sky, it would be imperative to see an eye doctor immediately. This is a common symptom of a detached retina, and could require special treatment to resolve.
- Foggy Vision – If you open your eyes and feel as though you’re looking through thick smoke or clouds, see a doctor immediately. This is a symptom of a dangerous type of glaucoma called angle closure glaucoma. The high intraocular pressure associated with the problem causes severe headaches and further complications, which is why it’s important to visit a doctor for an emergency surgery.
- Acute Blackout – It’s possible for your eyesight to black out completely without a warning, and this could be a sign of cardiovascular disease. But if the blackout occurs without any accompanying symptoms and lasts for more than 10 minutes, visit your eye doctor immediately.
- Flashing Lights – Another common problem that shouldn’t be ignored is the presence of flashing lights. Usually, this visual disturbance is seen along the periphery of the visual field. However, it can also occur around the center of vision. This symptom indicates the beginnings of structural damage to the retina, so be sure to visit your eye doctor for a prompt resolution.
- Redness and Irritation – Because of the exposed nature of the eyes, it’s easy to get infections. For any redness or irritation, avoid self medicating with eye drops. Visit your doctor to get a corresponding diagnosis and treatment for the problem.
Luckily, when you contact an eye center in Singapore, they’re not likely to charge right off the bat. The first consultation will only give you an idea of your problem, and if treatment is necessary, it’s only then that you’ll get charged. Don’t hesitate to visit your doctor if these symptoms arise. Take care of your vision, maintain healthy eyes, and resolve any problems before they get worse, by seeking a professional treatment when you detect these 5 common problems.